An Experienced Attorney Serving The Detroit Metro Area

Child Support

Understanding Child Support In Michigan

Children are a primary concern for many people who face divorce. Child support is designed to help a custodial parent pay the costs of raising each child. Michigan law states that both parents have a legal obligation to provide financial support until a child turns 18. The court may order that child support continue until a child turns 19½ if the child attends high school full time, has a reasonable expectation of graduating, and lives full time with parent who receives child support.

How Child Support Is Determined

Under guidelines in the Michigan Child Support Formula, both parents’ income will be used to help determine who will pay child support and how much will be paid. The number of days and nights that a child spends with each parent also is a key factor. Other factors include the number of children being supported, health care costs and child care costs.

It is important to understand that the formula used to determine child support in Michigan is only a starting point. Unique factors can result in the court deviating from the formula and ordering a higher or lower monthly payment. That is why working with a knowledgeable family law attorney is so important.

At Balian Legal, PLC, in Bloomfield Hills, we will protect your rights regarding child support, whether you expect to pay support or receive it. This means ensuring that both parents’ income and assets are measured accurately and that any extenuating factors are considered.

Enforcing And Modifying Orders

If a parent who has been ordered to pay child support fails to do so, we can assist in enforcing the order. Measures that can be taken to enforce payment of child support include garnishing a person’s wages, placing a lien on their property, and suspending their driver’s license to force compliance.

There also may be reasons to modify an existing child support order. This may be necessary if:

  • The custody arrangement changes
  • One parent loses a job and is out of work for an extended period
  • Medical issues affect one parent’s ability to make payments
  • A child’s medical or educational needs change

In these situations, it is important not to settle for a verbal agreement between you and the child’s other parent. This can backfire for a payer or a recipient of child support. We can assist in the process of petitioning for a child custody modification.

Learn How We Can Help

We welcome the opportunity to review your situation during a free consultation and recommend an effective course of action. Call 248-955-5420 or use our online contact form to schedule a meeting with a lawyer who wants to help you protect the best interests of you and your child.